This course is designed to help managers and other decision makers learn to settle workplace and interpersonal disputes by the application of proven negotiating principles and strategies. Learners in this course will explore the fundamentals of Dispute Settlement Negotiation with the help of games, videos, interactive exercises, case studies, and other engaging content.
- Distinguish between Dispute Settlement Negotiation (DSN) and Deal Making Negotiation (DMN)
- Articulate the advantages and disadvantages of negotiation, compared to other methods of conflict resolution
- Explain the importance of BATNA in Dispute Settlement Negotiation
- Describe the most common causes of personal and workplace conflict
- Explain the steps involved in conflict diagnosis
- Describe the five conflict management styles identified by the Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI)
- Identify the main impediments to achieving a cooperative resolution, and explain how best to circumvent them
- Describe how to develop a strategy and interest assessment
- Explain the importance of active listening in the context of negotiation
- Define ZOPA, and explain its importance in Dispute Settlement Negotiation
- Explain how the ability to identify different negotiating currencies can help negotiators break a stalemate
- Distinguish between "sacred" and "pseudo-sacred" values
- Apply the principles of Dispute Settlement Negotiation to real-world examples
- Badge and credit-awarding
- Real-world case studies
- Fully accessible
- Games & Flashcards
- Video content
Estimated time to complete: 3 hours
This course includes an “Ask the Expert” feature. You can use this feature to submit questions about course content. A subject matter expert will provide guidance or point you to additional resources for the topics you’re studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs.
SMEI PDH: 3